Tuesday, December 3, 2013

"8 Things I've learned cooking without Gluten, Dairy, Nuts and Sugar" by Emily Ho


This was in interesting article that discussed a cook's recent removal of gluten, dairy, nuts and sugar via the "elimination diet" to see if her food choices were causing her health problems both mentally and physically.

1. Do you think that going "Gluten-free" is a food fad?

2. Do you think that people are just now discovering their gluten intolerance because of the way food is produced and prepared today (i.e- using GMO products or chemicals)?

3. If you are willing to share, has anyone fully eliminated dairy, gluten, nuts or sugar from their diet and noticed a significant difference in the way you felt or acted?

http://www.thekitchn.com/8-things-ive-learned-about-cooking-without-gluten-dairy-nuts-and-sugar-197775

3 comments:

  1. I do think that gluten free is a food fad, but I do not think that that is a bad thing.

    I also think that food intolerances can be learned traits rather than just inherent traits. Many people do have true intolerances and allergies which should not be brushed off.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Lesley, I really enjoyed reading your article. I thought the elimination diet was quite interesting, and if going Gluten-free (among others) can make you healthier in anyway, I think it's served its purpose and it's great! The author mentioned in the article that it's important to eat to make you feel energized, rather than to treat it as of something to fill your stomach. Although not many people have the opportunity to choose the healthier food option, I think it's important for us to realize that in the end, we are in charge of our own bodies. To answer your second question, I think that's true. I know many people who have developed/just discovered certain food intolerance, and according to the statistics, the number seems to be growing. Because of this, I think you may have the right idea about the (negative) effect of current food processing and preparation methods on our health. In the meantime, I'm looking forward to trying this elimination diet to see if it improves my health!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think it is important to be aware of your own dietary restrictions, but I think cutting things out of your diet is becoming the new cool thing to do. I have a friend that doesn't eat meat, dairy, any sort of animal product, enriched flour, high fructose corn syrup, gluten or bread. He basically doesn't eat anything, and for no reason at all! Just because he likes limiting himself and thinks that cutting all of these things out will make him healthier, when in reality he eats a lot of vegan cheese free pizza. I hope one day he comes to his senses and realize that if he keeps going on the path he's on soon he won't be able to make meals for himself and then what will he do?

    ReplyDelete